the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, June 28, 2014

Gluten Free Zucchini Chocolate Cake

I am eating gluten free these days, plus I was given a handful of huge zucchini, so cake of course came to mind!  I found a recipe that referred to them as brownies (link below), but the texture is definitely cake-like. 2 out of 3 children really liked it - I think it is delicious. I omitted the icing, and it was still great. It is a fudgy cake, great for snacking, or it would be fantastic with ice cream! 
Cake:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup oil, applesauce to make 1/3 cup
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 2 c. shredded zucchini
  • 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour (mine is from Trader Joe's)
  • 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 1 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/3 c. cocoa
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Mix all together well and pour into a 9x13 greased pan. Bake for 25-30 mins at 350F or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once cooled you can make the frosting:
Frosting:
  • 6 T. butter
  • 6 T. milk
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. chocolate chips
On the stovetop, mix together the butter, milk, and sugar. Heat together until the mixture boils. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips. Pour over the brownies and let it cool before you cut.
adapted from here

No comments:

Post a Comment